Varsity football gains experience at Jamboree

For the first time in six months, the football team was under the lights in Dad’s Stadium on Thursday, May 16 for Spring Jamboree.
The team hosted Jefferson High School and Robinson High School as a way gain experience against opponents from other teams before heading into summer. Each team played a quarter against each other.
“One thing that the spring does for you is it lets you know the things that you are really good at, the things you are not so good at and the things that are in between,” head coach Robert Weiner said.

First up was Jefferson High School, who the panthers defeated 28-6, behind four touchdowns and two fumbles recovered by the defense.
“On offensive we have some very viable weapons, and we have a very aggressive defensive with some guys that want to go after you and hit you,” defensive coordinator Bo Puckett said.
Junior quarterback Tucker Gleason accounted for all four touchdowns in the first quarter. He threw touchdown passes of 65 and 4 yards to junior wide receivers Judah Norwood and Elijah Cook and rushed for two more on runs of 8 and 4 yards.
“We we’re very happy with the number of turnovers we created on our defense and we were very happy with how our quarterback led our team down the field on numerous times,” Puckett said. “I think the main thing we need to continue to work on is keeping our body language positive out there even in tough times.”

In the second quarter, the Panthers faced rival Robinson who they beat 6-0. The only score was a on an interception by junior linebacker Miguel Torres who took it 73 yards for the touchdown.
“It gave us a confidence boost that we can hold our ground against another team,” junior Aidan Giansante said. “I feel like it gave us a good idea of where everyone will fit in next year. Something we did well on was our team camaraderie, offense and defense together as a unit.”
The team will begin summer practice Monday, June 3 and will open their season Friday, August 23 at Armwood High School, the 2018 state runner-up in Class 6A.
“We do realize now there is a new conditioning level for playing live football,” Weiner said. “We are going to have to up our conditioning a little bit and continue to grow in strength and skill development.”