Baseball wins Regional Finals

Alex Gillen

Bat in hand, junior Nick Hanson swigs his bat ready to hit the ball. Plant won against Windermere High School 2-0 on May 17.

On May 17, Plant Baseball played their Regional Finals match against Windermere High School. With the score 2-0, the Panthers were victorious and now have their eyes on the State Playoffs.

“We just have a good group of guys who have been playing with each other for a long time now and are really close,” senior Tanner Gilbert said.

The boys will play their state semifinal match in Fort Myers at 7 p.m. against Palm Beach Gardens.

“Our motivation for the upcoming games is to keep doing what we are doing, and using motivation from how we weren’t ranked at the beginning, and always being underdogs, and continuing to prove what this team is about; and what we can do,” senior Thomas Bolton said.

The end of the season is close, no matter what the outcome will be. The end of this season means the end of high school athletics and many memories for all the seniors on the team.

“I’m gonna miss all the memories I’ve made from freshman year to senior year with all my teammates who I’ve played with my whole life,” Bolton said. “And [I] am gonna miss being on the field with all of them.”

Plant Baseball is aspiring to make history as they continue on their State Championship run. No one player will stand alone on this journey because Plant Baseball is more than just a team; they are a family.

“I’ll miss most just being around the team every day,” Gilbert said. “They are like a second family — how much time we spend together — and I’m going to certainly miss that aspect.”