Everything You Need To Know About Tropical Strom Idalia

As+Tropical+Storm+Idalia+is+approaching+rapidly%2C+everyone+must+prepare+for+the+storm.+Scroll+to+learn+more+details+about+the+storm+and+how+to+prepare.+
Stella Griggs
As Tropical Storm Idalia is approaching rapidly, everyone must prepare for the storm. Scroll to learn more details about the storm and how to prepare.

With Tropical Storm Idalia (currently projected to be a hurricane) approaching, people are preparing their homes and families for an evacuation if necessary. It was announced on Monday, Aug. 28 that school will be canceled for Hillsborough County on Tuesday, Aug. 29, and Wednesday, Aug. 30. Plant High School and other schools will be closed to students and open as shelters for the storm on these two days. 

As Idalia is expected to be a Category 3 hurricane by the time it hits Hillsborough County late Tuesday or early Wednesday, remember to pack the necessities. Flashlights, portable chargers, water bottles, and nonperishable items help to prepare for evacuation and possible power outages.  

If evacuating, try to bring school supplies to either catch up or get ahead with schoolwork. On top of the necessities, bring enough clothes to last at least a week in case evacuation orders are prolonged. As of the afternoon of Aug. 28, Idalia moved to the left slightly, so Hillsborough County is out of the cone for the time being, but the projection is subject to change with updates every six hours. If able, locate a windowless room on the highest level of a home and stay in there if the storm gets increasingly dangerous. 

Idalia is not expected to make a direct hit on the Tampa Bay Area right now, but the cone predictions are always subject to change so it is better to be ready for the worst and hope for the best.