Plant Football Defeats the King Lions

Senior+James+Marshall+runs+the+ball+past+opponents+on+his+way+to+the+end+zone.+The+Plant+Panthers+won+the+game+against+King+50-6.+
Lucas Howes
Senior James Marshall runs the ball past opponents on his way to the end zone. The Plant Panthers won the game against King 50-6.

On Friday, Sept. 8th the Plant Football team was looking for their first win of the season. After two losses to Tampa Bay Tech and Berkley, they were looking to come out successful against King High School. King High School entered this game 0-2 as well, so both teams came in looking for a win. 

Plant came in the first quarter strong with scoring their first points on a blocked punt from the King punter. That next play, Junior Waltez Clark returned the kickoff all the way for a touchdown. This ended up happening twice in a row, the score was 18-0 before the Plant team took an offensive snap. In one play, RB Waltez Clark ran the ball in for a touchdown to make it 24-0 

The next quarter, the Plant Panthers kept up the strong offensive attack by starting the quarter with a touchdown pass from Senior Trey O’Malley to make it a 31-0 lead by Plant. After King tried to get past the 50-yard line, they were stopped by the Plant shutdown defense. King then punted the ball away which once again Waltez returned the punt all the way to the end zone for his 4th time crossing the end zone this game, and it wasn’t even halftime yet. 

At halftime, both the King and Plant band performed their own version of the half-time show. With King going first, they put together a solid performance that would lead to Plant’s Halftime performance. Plant came together with the band, the color guard, and the Danceros. With all these groups coming together to preform, it left for a very successful show that would lead the Plant football team to another strong half to the end of King High School. 

Just a few minutes into the third quarter, King got their first and only points of the game on a Fumble recovery that turned into six points, which plant then blocked their extra point attempt. Clark once again walked into the end zone on a touchdown pass from O’Malley to make the score 44-6. The fourth quarter commenced shortly afterwards.  

With both teams trying to run out the clock, there wasn’t much action in this quarter until the very end. With just a few minutes left in the game, Plant intercepted a ball from the King QB, which they turned into a touchdown.  After that, the game was over, and Plant found their first win of the season after a 50-6 victory over the 0-3 King Lions. 

Junior Waltez Clark soars into the end zone. The Panthers led the game for the entire duration. (Lucas Howes)