Haunted Mansion Movie Review

If+youre+looking+for+a+new+Halloween+movie+to+watch+this+year%2C+the+Haunted+Mansion+is+a+great+choice.+Its+kid-friendly+and+has+comedy+and+jump+scares.+This+movie+is+available+on+Disney+%2B%2C+Vudu%2C+and+Amazon+Prime.+
Sienna Harrison
If you’re looking for a new Halloween movie to watch this year, the Haunted Mansion is a great choice. It’s kid-friendly and has comedy and jump scares. This movie is available on Disney +, Vudu, and Amazon Prime.

The Haunted Mansion was released on July 28, 2023. You can watch this movie on Disney+, Vudu, and Amazon Prime. This is a horror/fantasy film and is PG-13. Although this is a horror film, there is some comedy. Justin Simien is the director, and the screenplay was done by Katie Dippold.  

The simple plot leads to simple execution across the board. Single mother Gabbie (Rosario Dawson) has moved into the antique house of her dreams with her nine-year-old son Travis (Chase Dillon.) But not long after stepping into the home, they become aware of spirited tenants occupying the creepy house. Enlisting the help of grieving astrophysicist Ben (Lakeith Stanfield), priest Father Kent (Owen Wilson), medium Harriet (Tiffany Haddish), and haunted house expert Professor Bruce Davis (Danny Devito), they hope to put their heads together to rid the house of its supernatural tormentors.  

The script’s punchlines are forced and flat, but Wilson and Haddish carry most of the weight. While Wilson often runs dry, Haddish delivers in her classic tone. The script draws the line of Disney’s boundaries, tossing in some light innuendos in a somewhat concerted effort to draw in more mature audiences.  

The film displays how the house can transform into a surrealist landscape—halls that never end, ceilings that extend into impossibility, hidden rooms, and ghost portraits. There are many playful chases and spooky sequences.  

Stanfield’s Ben mourns the loss of his wife, his grief becoming a cornerstone of the story. Yet while we’ve seen Stanfield display emotional depth in other roles, every moment feels like a soap opera. There’s a thoughtful examination of how grief makes us vulnerable while also being able to harness the power of love to connect with one another. 

For a more in-depth review click here: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/27/movies/haunted-mansion-review.html