Club of the Week: GSA

This+week%2C+GSA%2C+or+the+gay+straight+alliance+won+club+of+the+week+for+their+outstanding+work+at+our+school.+GSA+is+a+club+dedicated+to+making+a+safe+space+for+students+in+the+LGBTQ+community+at+our+school+and+has+been+working+tireless+to+help+give+those+students+a+voice.++
Daniel Beccue
This week, GSA, or the gay straight alliance won club of the week for their outstanding work at our school. GSA is a club dedicated to making a safe space for students in the LGBTQ community at our school and has been working tireless to help give those students a voice.

Within recent years, society has come a longways when it comes to acceptance, but with new legislation being passed in Florida it can be a scary time to be a part of the LGBTQ community. Thankfully, there is a group located right here at plant high school dedicated to creating a safe space for all members of the gay community. We at the plant news team are happy to announce that this week’s club of the week is none other than the GSA. Otherwise known as the gay straight alliance, the GSA holds semimonthly meetings for homosexual students to discuss any issues they have in their personal lives as well as explore gay culture through visiting art museums, and other mediums. Although they do not meet up often, the main purpose of the GSA is to act as a safety net for LGBTIQ students while giving reassurance that they are represented in our community.

When asked about their mission statement, the president of the GSA replied, “Just generally bringing people together to show that they’re not alone.”

So far, GSA has done a fantastic job working with administrators to further their goal of creating a safe space for students. Currently, they are working with Dr.Gorman on a new system to report bullying which will prepare students specifically, that they will pilot at plant and hopefully move from district to district.

For the members of GSA, it’s more than a club, it’s a way for them to fight back against anti-gay legislation in Florida such as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, and other bills targeting education, and LGBTQ youth. This year the GSA, has been focused on making their club more recognized by promoting it in the school, so that more students can fight for their lifestyle.

If you are looking to join, feel free to speak to Mr. James, or find out more about them at Clubs / Overview (hillsboroughschools.org)