Chomping to the Top: Cash Strayer Commits to UF

Cash+Strayer%2C+a+junior+at+Plant%2C+committed+to+the+University+of+Florida+in+May+of+2022+for+baseball.+Strayer+was+a+very+important+and+prominent+player+in+the+2022-2023+Plant+Varsity+Baseball+and+helped+led+the+team+to+the+States+Championship+in+May+of+that+year.+
Bella Johnson
Cash Strayer, a junior at Plant, committed to the University of Florida in May of 2022 for baseball. Strayer was a very important and prominent player in the 2022-2023 Plant Varsity Baseball and helped led the team to the States Championship in May of that year.

Tampa local and Plant High School baseball player, Cash Strayer, committed to the University of Florida for baseball this past year. Strayer plays Outfield, Middle Infield, and shortstop, a valuable asset on for the team. 

Strayer plays on varsity team and has since his freshman year. Last season, Strayer has a batting average of .318 and an OBP (On Base Percentage) of .434, very impressive for a high school player and one of the main reasons that the team made it to the States Championship against Stoneman Douglas in May. 

“I have played baseball my whole life, since I was five years old,” Strayer said. “I play middle field and outfield, as well as shortstop, which is my favorite because I enjoy all of the action. I have always dreamed of playing college baseball at a successful university and I wanted to be close to home so UF was the perfect option for me both athletically and academically.”
Head coach of Plant Baseball, Dennis Braun, a Driver’s Education teacher at Plant, has had Strayer on his team since his freshman year in the 2021-2022 season. Teammate and fellow junior, Jackson Cucchi, has been on the team with Strayer since freshman year. 

“I’m very proud and happy for him,” Cucchi said. “He is very humble and really deserves it, the entire team is proud of him and his opportunity at Florida.” Many of Strayer’s teammates shared the same sentiments, stating that no one deserves it more. 

Strayer currently is playing the fall ball season for Plant and will play in the spring as well. 

“I play summer baseball after high school season,” Strayer said. “Baseball has taught me many life lessons and has created friendships that will last me the rest of my life. I am excited to play with and against other players that have the love for the game like me as well to make more memories and friends along the way. I am grateful for all of the support from everyone about this decision to go to UF.” 

Strayer has expressed that having the opportunity to play in college is something that many people dream of, and he is excited about having that chance, especially to play at a college like UF.  

“If I had the opportunity to play professional baseball, I would definitely take it,” Strayer said. 

Attached below is Strayer’s University of Florida commitment video.