Top 10 Albums of 2023

+With+artists+of+all+genres+and+styles%2C+there+were+a+handful+of+exceptional+projects+that+need+to+be+recognized.+Relive+the+most+iconic+pieces+of+pop+culture+from+2023+as+the+best+albums+are+shared%21+%0A%0A%0A
Amelia Knust
With artists of all genres and styles, there were a handful of exceptional projects that need to be recognized. Relive the most iconic pieces of pop culture from 2023 as the best albums are shared!

As the end of the year comes around again, it’s essential to recognize the art and music that has shaped the past 12 months. Surprisingly, this was a pretty monotonous year for mainstream music. When you look at the Billboard end-of-year song charts, half of the entries will make you realize how detached you have become from cookie-cutter radio songs. Interestingly enough, many of this year’s top songs were released years ago but faced a mass resurgence this year (“Die For You,” “Cruel Summer,” and “Sure Thing,” to name a few). Therefore, while mainstream pop was desperate enough to revitalize old songs instead of craft innovative music, 2023 was a year for the underdogs of music. Of course, there was a fair share of famous artists who once again proved their talent with albums this year. Still, I found the most intricate music with artists I had yet to discover or artists with less popularity than your classic A-list singers. Nevertheless, as someone who has listened to almost every relevant album of the year, here are my top 10 of 2023- a carefully crafted list that balances genre, style, and expression.

Honorable Mentions
This Is Why by Paramore
Unreal Unearth by Hozier
The Loveliest Time by Carly Rae Jepsen
Heaven Knows by PinkPantheress
The Age of Pleasure by Janelle Monae

10. The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We by Mitski
As an artist who has been creating music in the industry for over ten years, Mistki has nothing left to prove with her intricate songwriting abilities and melancholic creations. With her 7th body of work, The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We, Mitski deals with different interpretations of love, introspection, and isolation, all with the poise and raw honesty she brings to her other records. The album has also brought upon one of Mitski’s biggest hits- “My Love Mine all Mine”- a transcendent track about how the human capacity to love is greater and more impactful than any material possession one could ever obtain. Other tracks like “I Don’t Like My Mind” and “The Deal” particularly stand out to me as you can hear the purposeful desperation in the singer’s tone, crafting the perfect mix of emotions to digest the album. To those who value the insight of a thoughtful workaholic, Mitski’s newest record will provide the ideal reflection for you.

Recommended Song: “The Deal”

9. MY WORLD by æspa
In a year when K-pop broke into mainstream music more than ever (thanks, NewJeans), a fair share of well-received projects showcased the seamless combination of Western and foreign influences. æspa, comprised of members Karina, Ning Ning, Giselle, and Winter, is a group that I have been following since before they debuted in 2020, and I can say with ease that they have become the quintessential K-pop group to look out for that has debuted in the last few years. With the release of their 3rd mini, MY WORLD, the four-member K-pop girl group took a creative risk, marking the first time they diverged away from the Kwangya/Nævis storyline that the rest of their projects follow, except for the opening track, “Welcome to MY World,” featuring “nævis,” which was just a higher-pitched, sped-up version of the four girls’ voices combined. The rest of the EP provides an addicting mix of pop, R&B, and electronic influences, forming the perfect summer songs. Two tracks not to miss include “Spicy,” the at the moment. The entire album was a breath of fresh air for the K-pop scene, and despite its short length, MY WORLD is an awe-inspiring collection of songs that will unite loyal fans of the group and average music listeners.

Recommended Song: “Thirsty”

8. Honey by Samia
Alternative and indie pop albums often provided the most surprise and excitement levels this year, and this was no exception for singer-songwriter Samia, who delivered an impressive collection of existential and coming-of-age tracks with her second studio album, Honey. The album opens up with an unsettling organ solo in “Kill Her Freak Out,” a track full of intrusive thoughts that describe Samia’s death wish towards her ex’s new girlfriend. This was one of the first songs that introduced me to Samia’s discography, and the replay value of the track is unlike any other song I know. As the album progresses, Samia describes different instances with friends and lovers, all with a certain level of anxiety and uncertainty that comes across as highly relatable to any listener. We hear her repeat affirmations and questions like “Are you still mad at me?” or “To me, it was a good time…,” each building a distinct ambiance of self-doubt and youthfulness. While almost every track has stood out to me at some point, there are four quintessential tracks that I feel you have to listen to at least once in your life. First, “Kill Her Freak Out,” which I previously explained as a haunting song that emanates an aura like no other. Next, “Breathing Song” is a somber but powerful song that tackles sexual assault. The song comes across as a story told in five parts, each separated by a chorus of Samia singing “No, no, no” with a vocal effect that adds unease to the already heavy song. Third, the album’s title track, “Honey,” is a therapeutic anthem about the joys of being inebriated. The song feels like partying with friends, accepting that while life may not be perfect, it’s what you make of it. Finally, “Amelia,” a track lyrically similar to “Honey,” is the last of my quintessential album tracks, not just because it shares my name. “Amelia” diverts from the album’s sound with an almost tropical feel, with the lyrics simply about the ecstasy of being with your friends. One of the most truthful ways to describe the song is that it sounds like something you would hear during the ending scene or credits of a coming-of-age film. The lyrics don’t hold that much emotional weight, as it seems to be a recollection of personal anecdotes. Still, the mixture of Samia’s glowing, positive tone and the upbeat background will make you smile and dance every time you listen to the track. While these songs stood out to me the most within the project, Honey is an excellent collection of tracks with personal but relatable lyricism, unique production, and evocative moods.

Recommended Song: “Kill Her Freak Out”

7. Bewitched by Laufey
If there’s one thing that Laufey has proved with her career, it’s that jazz and traditional music can be embraced by younger generations just as much as it has with past generations. With the singer’s sweet, sultry alto voice and lovesick lyrics, Laufey is one of the most intriguing artists to watch as the masses electrifying title track of the album, and “Thirsty,” a pop/R&B mix that has drawn many favorable comparisons to Ariana Grande’s musical style. I was pleasantly surprised with each track, which solidified my claim that æspa is genuinely one of the most captivating and capable groups in the industry quickly embrace her music. With her second album, Bewitched, Laufey presents herself as a sophisticated but yearning young woman who reflects upon her trials with love and growing up. The entire project is jaw-dropping from beginning to end. Her intricate harmonies and captivating tone are like no other artists in the music scene, and Bewitched has proved that she’s here to stay. The orchestral instrumentals in each track add a level of refinement that makes you feel like you could be listening to classical music from 50 years ago. Many of the tracks have been picked up by fans on TikTok, especially “From the Start,” which currently sits on Spotify with over 188 million streams. As a classically trained musician, Laufey’s ear for musicality shines through with the project, creating a mix of dreamy, nostalgic-sounding songs that will likely bring you to tears at least once. For me, the most emotional song was “Letter To My 13-Year-Old Self,” a heartfelt ballad towards her younger self, ensuring younger Laufey that things will work out and that she’s always been beautiful inside and out, even if she hasn’t felt like it. Even though I’ve only listened to this album briefly since its recent release, Bewitched has restored my faith in the future of music, especially for genres we haven’t been exposed to in mainstream light in a long time.

Recommended Song: “While You Were Sleeping”

6. Guts by Olivia Rodrigo
Longevity and relevance are scarce in the music industry. Still, Olivia Rodrigo consistently goes above and beyond her peers to show that she’s an artist here to stay. With the release of her second album, Guts, Rodrigo reinvents the teenage-angst manifesto for Gen Z with a collection of pop rock tracks and thoughtful ballads that portray every complex emotion that a 20-year-old woman can feel. This era included singles that I would argue are some of the best songs of the year, especially “vampire,” a powerful slow-burn ballad that brought me to tears the first time I heard it. The rest of the album is filled with powerhouse songs that cover various relatable topics, such as imposter syndrome, social anxiety, and failed relationships. However, despite the dramatic inspirations for the song, Rodrigo keeps listeners on their toes by having some of the year’s most entertaining and nostalgic production and lyricism. For instance, the opening track “all-american bitch” serves as a bold opening reminiscent of something straight out of Marina and the Diamond’s Electra Heart album. The dichotomy of the mellow guitar strums in the beginning versus the bass-booming drums and electric guitar during the chorus makes the Song unforgettable and impactful, perfectly setting the stage for a charismatic project from beginning to end. Other stand-out tracks to listen to include “teenage dream,” “ballad of a homeschooled girl,” (a track that truly highlights her hilarious lyricism ), and “making the bed.” Throughout every track, Rodrigo has transformed herself from the naive, cookie-cutter girl the world was introduced to with Sour to an undeniably fun, unforgiving, and enigmatic version of herself, and it’s been great for her career. Her performances for Guts seem more energetic than ever, showing that the singer has been having fun with these songs. The confidence and spunk Rodrigo brings to Guts makes the project a must-listen for the year, assuming you haven’t already been as captivated by the tracks as I have.

Recommended Song: “ballad of a homeschooled girl”

5. Did You Know There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd? by Lana Del Rey
Lana Del Rey is an artist who needs no introduction, especially as she has reached undeniable heights of fame this year with the release of her newest record, Did You Know There’s a Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd? I’ll be the first to admit that I was hesitant with this album as it was first released. I was a massive fan of the album’s singles, which included the title track and “A&W,” which I can easily call one of the best tracks of the year. However, it took me multiple months to fully appreciate the rest of the album, as I still was cautious since I had disliked the album released before Ocean Blvd, Blue Banisters, for a multitude of reasons. I wasn’t a fan of primarily piano-based albums, and I found it less inspired than her other records. However, I began to digest Ocean Blvd piece by piece and eventually realized how wrong I was to misjudge it. Ocean Blvd isn’t just an album; it’s a collection of warm memories. It’s a reunion of loved ones at a nostalgic vacation house. It’s an early morning on the beach when the rest of the world seems to be asleep. It’s a book of your family history you’ve cherished through generations. In this record, Lana pieces together different stories of her family, her relationships, and her anecdotes to provide the quintessential guide to who Lana Del Rey is. Many tracks are undeniably emotional and moving, like “Margaret,” making anyone feel genuinely soft and appreciative of the love we can give and receive. The title track serves as a desperate but thoughtful plea to be loved and remembered, featuring a transcendent choir of voices in the back. However, the album was not just filled with deep, emotional cuts but also mindless, upbeat tracks that create a unique, playful sense of duality. Some of these tracks contain lyrics like “My boyfriend tested positive for COVID / it don’t matter / We’ve been kissing / so whatever he has I have / I can’t cry” or “That’s why they call me Lanita / When I get down like Bonita” that make you think…Lana Del Rey is the only artist who can get away with unserious lyrics like this. However, despite the lack of depth in the lyrical content on the upbeat tracks, the trap-infused or synth-inspired production immediately makes up for it. While I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every track on this album, there are still a few ballads that remain to be sleepers for me, possibly because the lyrics seem so specific to Lana’s personal stories that I have found it hard to resonate with, but this is an issue that had bothered me with some of her previous records. Ocean Blvd is still a massive success in every other aspect, combining the essential elements of top-notch lyricism and reminiscent themes to let the listener reflect upon the life of Lana Del Rey and their own unique life story.

Recommended Song: “A&W”

4. Something To Give Each Other by Troye Sivan
Perhaps the most unexpected album of the year to be considered extraordinary was Troye Sivan’s third album, Something To Give Each Other, a captivating collection of songs that celebrate queer liberation and love in a way that is more confident than anything he has released before. I had never truly explored Sivan’s music too much earlier, but I was instantly hooked the second I curiously pressed play on this album. The album follows a primarily pop route, but many impressive producers and collaborators made for an exhilarating experience from beginning to end. The album pulls you in with the opening track, “Rush,” a high-energy club anthem you’ll never get tired of. Sivan explores this intense energy with a few other tracks of the album, including “Got Me Started,” a song that impressively sampled Bag Raider’s “Shooting Stars” without sounding cringe, and “Honey,” a synth-pop song that has been my favorite track since the album’s release. Sivan also perfectly juxtaposes these tracks with slower-paced songs that often discuss the raw honesty and mundanity of falling in love. However, the intensity remains the same even if the energy isn’t as high as the other tracks. This can be seen with the stand-out track “One Of Your Girls,” a melancholic but addictive contemporary synth-pop song about needing validation from men, even if you know it’ll never work out. Other songs like “Still Got It” and “How To Stay With You” hold a distinct level of poise and maturity while still fitting into the euphoric themes of the album. With this project, Troy Sivan has fully embraced himself as someone sophisticated, unapologetic, and undeniably a star, and each perfectly crafted Song represents this persona with ease.

Recommended Song: “One Of Your Girls”

3. Desire, I Want To Turn Into You by Caroline Polachek
As someone who has been waiting for this project since Polachek started teasing it in 2021, I can easily say that Desire, I Want To Turn Into You has remained one of the most imaginative albums of the year. Only a few albums can maintain the feeling of sounding fresh and new with each listen, but I have not gotten tired of any track on this album since its release in February. It’s hard to put Polachek into a box while describing her musical style, and Desire has further expanded this complex world of genres with songs featuring electric guitars, synths, and even bagpipes. The album could arguably be considered a concept album, with the feeling of entering a utopia of love surrounding the premise of the songs and the album cover. The opening track, “Welcome To My Island,” begins with an impressive two-octave vocal drop as Polachek sings about welcoming a lover into her life, cheekily singing, “Hope you like me / You ain’t leaving.” The rest of the album is filled with captivating production and meaningful messages, with a particular emphasis on “I Believe”- a song that is a tribute for Polachek’s late friend, the legendary producer SOPHIE. Some unforgettable highlights include “Blood and Butter,” “Smoke,” and especially “Billions,” an avant-garde track that contains seven verses, two choruses, and an intricate choral outro. As each track progresses, Polachek explains how acts of love and self-doubt can intertwine and eventually reach a point where you can be completely comfortable with your partner without baggage or reservations. At the same time, the record’s highly experimental nature allows the listener to be entranced for the entire 45-minute duration. Polachek’s siren-like vocals are also enchanting to hear, and her mixes of stacked vocals and twisted harmonies throughout the songs create a euphoric experience, not to mention the several haunting auditory effects added into the songs that will give chills to anyone listening with headphones. Overall, Desire, I Want To Turn Into You has remained a charming body of work that may take time for an average listener to digest fully, but will remain a breath of fresh air for anyone eager to listen to eclectic musical compositions.

Recommended Song: “Smoke”

2. The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess by Chappell Roan
If you had told me that one of my absolute favorite records of the year would feature the lyric “Get it hot like Papa John” in the opening track, I probably would’ve laughed in your face. However, there hasn’t been an artist that has completely captivated me quite as much as Chappell Roan within the past year. In the same way that Ethel Cain has put on a rural-Americana facade that is an exaggerated version of herself for album aesthetics, Chappell Roan also exaggerates her flashy, raunchy, and playful side for The Rise and Fall of a Midwest Princess, but in a way that remains authentic enough to come across as effective. Funnily enough, I’ve heard comparisons that Midwest Princess is the chaotic good version of Preacher’s Daughter, Cain’s debut album. However, that’s about where the comparisons end, as Midwest Princess stands on its own as a fantastic project that highlights femininity, queerness, and out-of-this-world excitement. The album was produced by Daniel Nigro, who had a tremendous year on my terms as he helped to create not only this record but Olivia Rodrigo’s Guts and Caroline Polachek’s Desire, I Want To Turn Into You. You can hear similarities between Rodrigo’s and Roan’s sound on this record- it’s as if you took Rodrigo’s music and turned the intensity level to 100, making it more experimental and unforgiving. The album opens with “Femininonmenon,” a song as absurdly incredible as its name. Roan establishes herself as someone who wants to have fun and is tired of boys ruining her life, which sets us up for the bright persona we see throughout the rest of the album. The album is a jam-packed, neon-lit dance party both lyrically and instrumentally. One of Roan’s specialties in this album is her inclusion of spoken-word intros or bridges, creating a fun mix of flamboyance and creativity. Tracks like “Red Wine Supernova,” “Super Graphic Ultra Modern Girl,” and “HOT TO GO” were all some of my favorite pop songs of the year, with blaring production and hilarious lyrics that impressed me way more than most mainstream artists did this year. However, as exciting as these tracks were, Roan could also juxtapose them beautifully with heartfelt ballads that fit nicely with the album. Songs like “Casual” and “Coffee” serve as heartsick, mournful songs but still contain lyrics like “Knee deep in your passenger seat and you’re eating me out / Is it casual now?” that keep up with the intensity of the rest of the album. With sold-out shows, colorful music videos, and glowing reviews, this project is not to miss, and it’s clear that Chappell Roan has quickly become one of the year’s most promising artists.

Recommended Song: “Red Wine Supernova”

1. the record by Boygenius
With a group that contains three incredibly talented artists (Lucy Dacus, Phoebe Bridgers, and Julien Baker) regarding vocals, lyricism, and instrumentals, it’s hard not to expect a killer album. With the release of Boygenius’s first full-length project, the record, those expectations were easily met and exceeded. Usually, when you have a band recording an album, there tends to be one or two stand-out artists. However, the record perfectly complements each member and lets them shine in their own ways, leaving the listener with a holistic view of the band’s talents. The album opens with “Without You Without Them,” a short acapella hymn about history and how it is passed on to each generation. The album has a perfect blend of tempos throughout each track, with lots of upbeat highlights (“$20”, “Not Strong Enough, “Satanist,” etc.) juxtaposing nicely with more laid-back tracks like “We’re In Love,” “Letters From An Old Poet,” and “Revolution 0.” Overall, this album perfectly blends topics of love and relationships of all kinds: some good, some bad, and some so painful that it’s hard to put a name to. There’s often a blurry line in certain songs about whether the trio is singing about familial or romantic relationships. Still, it adds to the unique intimacy between Bridgers, Dacus, and Baker. While the 12-track album is perfectly structured and curated, a few highlights cannot go unnoticed. First, the heavily acclaimed and Grammy-nominated “Not Strong Enough,” which I can gladly say sounds even better live than the studio version. The track highlights the anxieties of being unable to show up for your partner out of your own self-hatred and commitment issues. The song is aided by an emotional guitar hook that carries through the track’s duration, and it gets more intense with each new verse. The song reaches its climax during the bridge, with each member layering harmonies as they repeat “Always an angel / Never a God,” which has quickly become one of their most iconic lyrics. Next, a song on the slower side that deserves just as much recognition is “Cool About It,” a song that delivers absolutely gut-wrenching lyrics as the trio sings about the struggle of remaining nonchalant in an unrequited relationship, especially one that has been tainted by longing and sadness. Each verse progresses to a different level of heartbreak, and Bridger’s chorus of “We don’t have to talk about it / I can walk you home and practice method acting” is something that has not left my mind since the first day I heard it. Finally, while it may not be as acclaimed as the others, “We’re In Love” has remained a personal favorite of mine for a while. The track features only Dacus’s vocals and tells a reflective, melancholy story exploring multidimensional love complexes. It’s a stripped-back song instrumentally, but the real gem is in the lyricism. the record is a project that truly touches every part of the soul with every aspect of each track and has undeniably earned its title as the best album of 2023 amongst heavy competition. While it is unknown whether Boygenius will continue as a group, they have certainly done justice to their talents as a trio, with their unapologetic queerness, alternative styles, and poignant lyricism all defining them as generational talents.

Recommended song: “Not Strong Enough”

Listen to 2023’s best tunes!: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7itZoP7NderJvwdQnqzSXz?si=abdb996600c64b1