Anyone but You Movie Review

Giada Moralejo
The newest rom-com Anyone but You was released on December 22 and quickly caught the attention of the public eye. Read more for a review on the movie and to get tickets below.

ANYONE BUT YOU SPOILERS!

The rom-com era is considered the late 90s to early 2000s, with movies like How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, The Proposal, and 27 Dresses. It is almost unanimously believed that rom-coms now don’t compare. That was until the release of Anyone but You at the end of 2023. The new movie starring Sydney Sweeney and Glenn Powell impressed me and many others more than I expected. As an avid rom-com enjoyer, I find myself searching for new movies that give me the same feeling as the earlier movies, often ending up re-watching old movies I know I love.

Anyone but You had such a familiar feeling; it had everything a good rom-com should: the anticipation, the romance, the comedy, and a good song that you left singing. The movie follows a couple who meet and spend one night together, which ends in an unfortunate way. The main character, Bea, walks in on the love interest, Ben, explaining how he had no feelings for her at all after she had walked out earlier that morning. This leads to a year of resentment and no contact until they are forced to see each other again at their friend’s wedding in Australia.

The forced proximity between the two main characters gives the perfect banter that every rom-com lover enjoys. To add another level of conflict to their already complicated relationship, Bea’s parents invite her ex-fiancé to try and force them back together while the rest of the wedding party is using their best efforts to get Bea and Ben to realize that they are meant to be together.

I went into the movie with low expectations after years of failed rom-com attempts. Nonetheless, people talked highly about the new release; however, I assumed it would be like the last. Fortunately, I was wrong. I can’t recommend this movie enough. From beginning to end, you are completely enthralled with the love story. The final confession of love that is anticipated from the beginning is everything that I hoped it would be. The movie closed out with the song “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield, which was earlier revealed to be Ben’s “serenity song.” The song has followed the movie on almost every social media platform as fans rave about the film.

I truly hoped this movie sparked a new era of rom-coms that matched the greatness of the ones we once knew.

Get tickets with this link to go and see the new movie:

https://www.amctheatres.com/movies/anyone-but-you-73491/showtimes