The 2023 Emmys: In 2024

The+Emmys+occurred+on+Monday%2C+Jan.+15%2C+and+had+Anthony+Anderson+as+a+host.+The+next+major+award+show+is+the+Grammys+on+Feb.+4%2C+2024.+
Stella Griggs
The Emmys occurred on Monday, Jan. 15, and had Anthony Anderson as a host. The next major award show is the Grammys on Feb. 4, 2024.

Starting the night with Host Anthony Anderson and his momma, the Emmys were off to a great start. For some background, the 2023 Emmys had to be postponed due to the writer and actors’ strike, which finally occurred on Jan 15. With Succession, The Bear, and Beef taking home the majority of Emmys on Monday, this award show was one for the books. 
The Bear, a television comedy series on Hulu, took home six Emmys, including Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, and Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series. These awards were all for the show’s first season, seeing as the second season will be included in the 2024 Emmys. 
Another show that blew the Emmys away was Succession, a drama featuring actors like Kieran Culkin and Matthew Macfadyen, known for his role as Mr. Darcy in the movie Pride and Prejudice. This HBO Max show also took home six Emmys, winning the main acting category for a drama series. 

The White Lotus didn’t win many Emmys on the 15th, but Jennifer Coolidge won the Best Supporting Actress award in A Drama Series. Coolidge is mainly known for her comedy work, but her acting in The White Lotus allowed her to take home another Emmy to add to Coolidge’s growing collection. 

The Last of Us took home two Emmys, one by Storm Reid and another by Nick Offerman, sweeping away the category for Outstanding Guest Star in a Drama Series. 

Beef, a limited series, won five Emmys, rivaling both The Bear and Succession. Since it was released, Beef has been highly recommended throughout the country. It almost swept away the A Limited or Anthology Series or Movie category, except for Larry Hall from Blackbird and Niecy Nash-Betts from Dahmer-Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story. Nash-Betts gave a heartfelt speech after accepting her award, which went viral. She thanked her mother and everyone who helped her get where she is today, but Nash-Betts also thanked herself. 

Other shows like RuPaul’s Drag Race, Jeopardy, and Queer Eye also took home Emmys for game shows and reality television. Last year’s Emmys was one for the books, even if it occurred a little later than expected.