What is LLS?

Vera Agne
LLS is a foundation that aids in the fight against blood cancers. Donations or even joining a team can help support the research and advocacy efforts of LLS.

Leukemia is a type of cancer that affects both the blood and bone marrow leading to an overproduction of abnormal white blood cells. These abnormal cells crowd out normal body cells, impairing the body’s ability to fight infections and control bleeding. There are different types of leukemia, classified based on the type of blood cell affected and how quickly the disease progresses. The four main types include: acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL), acute myeloid leukemia (AML), chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), and chronic myeloid leukemia (CML). Common symptoms of leukemia include fatigue, pale skin, easy bruising or bleeding, frequent infections and unexplained weight loss. Treatment may involve chemotherapy, radiation, and stem cell transplantations. Regular follow-up care is crucial for monitoring and managing disease. Awareness is crucial because these diseases are often silent until they are advanced. By promoting an understanding and recognition of symptoms we can empower people to seek help early when treatments are more likely to be successful.

Moreover, awareness can drive better research and funding. The more people who know about leukemia and lymphoma the more likely they are to be inclined to donate to organizations that fund lifesaving research and provide patient support. LLS (Leukemia and Lymphoma Society), an organization dedicated to fighting blood cancers through scientific research, advocacy, and patient care. They fund studies to understand the genetics of blood cancers and ways to develop targeted therapies to advance treatment success. Founded in 1949, LLS has evolved into a global leader in the fight against blood cancers. The organization has played a pivotal role in progressing therapies that have transformed the landscape of blood cancer treatment.

Additionally, LLS provides a range of support services for the significant challenges faced by patients and their families. This includes financial assistance for treatment-related expenses, educational resources, and a robust patient and caregiver network. LLS strives to empower individuals with the information and resources needed to navigate their journey from diagnosis to survivorship.

Formerly the iconic Students of the Year campaign, Student Visionaries of the Year is a groundbreaking philanthropic leadership development program for high school students. Every year, courageous young leaders embark on an exciting 7-week journey with a goal to create a world without blood cancers, striving to earn the Student Visionary of the Year title. The students are given an opportunity to personally raise money for their designated team. For example, Ethan Bennett, a senior at Plant High School, leads the Team Tampa Teens for South Tampa. Many other students at plant are on that team as well. Meghan Lucas, a junior at Plant High School currently participating in the LLS fundraiser for Team Tampa Teens states, “I feel as if coming together as students to support this cause can make an invaluable impact in medical research

and the advancement of treatment for blood cancer. I’m honored to be able to make an impact and support this cause with my friends.”

For more information about how to help through donations or how to register for an LLS team visit the links below.

https://www.lls.org/