Life at Plant: Sydney Appleton

Senior+Sydney+Appleton+poses+for+her+senior+pictures+in+preparation+for+graduation.+Sydney+will+graduate+from+Plant+and+become+an+official+alumna.+
CADY
Senior Sydney Appleton poses for her senior pictures in preparation for graduation. Sydney will graduate from Plant and become an official alumna.

Not all can hold on to their wits through the Senior Year rush of excitement, stress, and anticipation. Still, Senior Sydney Appleton is a strong academic scholar and active community member. Sydney described her current achievements, along with her aspirations for the future. Appleton’s extracurriculars vary from in-school clubs like Speak Up to teaching piano to children of young ages.

When asked to describe her position in Speak Up and what it means to her, Sydney answered, “I am the Vice President of Speak Up. Speak Up helps end the stigma surrounding mental health and helps students find resources if they are struggling with their situations. I love helping others, so being a part of a club with such an amazing message is so meaningful to me.”

With babysitting and teaching music as her out-of-school jobs, Appleton truly displays her love for children through education and generosity.

“I teach piano lessons for my job and love my students. I teach ages 5 to 14, so I can watch my students grow up, and that is such a blessing. I also babysit a fair amount too. I love taking care of children and helping moms out,” Sydney stated when questioned about additional activities.

The only of Appleton’s teachers to have her in a class for all four years of high school, Christina Porcelli, was interviewed about her favorite things regarding the senior. “I love everything about Sydney, but my favorite is her caring personality. She is one of the kindest students I have taught. Watching her grow from a shy ninth grader to a confident senior ready to take on college has made me so happy. Sydney’s dedication to being the online editor-in-chief inspires me to be a better adviser to support her.”

The senior expressed her thoughts after being asked where she might land for the next few years. “I am not 100% certain where I am going, but I want to stay in Florida. Something about being in a warm climate with palm trees and beaches around me at all times is so comforting.”

Finally, Sydney is a graduate who knows what she wants. Planning to major in Journalism on a Pre-Law track is no easy feat, but as Appleton has shown over her four years at Plant High, if anyone can make it through, she can.

Posing in front of the Disney Fantasy, Sydney smiles while in the British Virgin Islands with her family for winter break.