Lovin’ On Luke: A Review of Luke Combs’ Top Albums

Luke+Combs+is+an+influential+country+singer+and+music+producer+who+has+recently+been+in+the+spotlight+more+than+usual%2C+due+to+his+%E2%80%9CGrowin%E2%80%99+Up+and+Gettin%E2%80%99+Old+Tour.+In+this+article%2C+I+will+rank+my+favorite+songs+from+all+of+Combs%E2%80%99+top+albums.+
Bella Johnson
Luke Combs is an influential country singer and music producer who has recently been in the spotlight more than usual, due to his “Growin’ Up and Gettin’ Old” Tour. In this article, I will rank my favorite songs from all of Combs’ top albums.

Luke Combs has been one of the most influential country singers in the 21st century. From hits from “Lovin’ on You” to “Brand New Man with Brooks and Dunn”, Combs has permanently made his mark on the country as well as the international music industry. In this article, I will be highlighting my favorite songs from each of his Top Albums such as “What You See Is What You Get” and “This One’s for You Too”. 

This One’s for You (2017)- 

“This One’s for You” has a lot of honorable mentions such as “Out There” and “Hurricane”, but for me, the winner is “When It Rains It Pours”. The song highlights the story of a man who recently was dumped by his girlfriend whose life randomly starts turning around. Combs wins a 100-dollar scratch off lottery ticket and a free beach day vacation in the song. The reason it is my favorite is because the song is a fun-twist for Combs who normally sticks towards love songs, but this is quite the opposite, highlighting how great life can be when someone who is bringing you down leaves. 

This One’s for You Too (2018)- 

“This One’s for You Too” is a parallel album to “This One’s for You”, featuring many of the same songs along with some additions. My personal favorite is “Houston, We Got a Problem” which highlights the story of a man in Texas who cannot stop thinking about the girl he loves despite all the great distractions such as “the coldest beer you’d ever drink”. As a Texas native, I love the nod to all your typical Texan qualities like Comb’s mention of his “a Don’t Mess with Texas t-shirt”. 

What You See Is What You Get (2019)- 

“What You See Is What You Get” is undeniably my favorite album ever written by Combs, featuring tracks such as “1, 2 Many” and “Beer Never Broke My Heart”, both two of my top favorites across all of Combs’ albums. However, the win for this album for me is hands-down “Lovin’ On You”, my number one Luke Combs song that I have on replay at least twice a day. Attending Combs’ concert in July cemented my love for this particular song, which opened for the concert. The song follows the main fact that Combs’ loves loving and being with “his girl” every more than “Brooks and Dunn B-side” of a record or a “Friday night slow ride”.  

What You See Ain’t Always What You Get (2020)- 

Once again, Combs utilize parallel albums, in which he releases an album and then follows up with another with the same tracks and some extras. My winner for this album would be “Forever After All” which follows Combs’ love for his wife and though forever doesn’t last forever, it will be with her when “the good Lord calls one of us home”.  

Growin’ Up (2022)-  

“Growin’ Up” was Combs’ first album after COVID-19, and he certainly was there to impress with hits such as “Outrunnin’ You Memory”, “Ain’t Far from It” and “Tomorrow Me”. My winner for this album is “Outrunnin’ Your Memory” featuring Miranda Lambert on the track. The song follows Combs’ love with a girl that he is trying to forget but they will always wind up being intertwined no matter what they would like to do about the situation. A close runner up would be “The Kind of Love We Make”, an instant hit off the album when it was released. 

Gettin’ Old (2023)- 

“Gettin’ Old” is my least favorite album released by Combs’, but it still has many amazing songs with a story-telling aspect that Combs’ has never ventured into. My personal favorite would be “Joe”, although the very close second would be “Fast Car”, a Tracy Chapman cover that has also taken the music industry by storm. “Joe” tells the story of a man fighting his past-alcoholism, a song that personally connected with Combs’ due to his friend’s past of addiction.