PHS Steppers Honor Black History Month

On+Thursday%2C+Feb.+29%2C+the+PHS+Steppers+took+on+their+Black+History+Month+performance%2C+learn+more+about+what+they+had+to+say.+They+had+multiple+dances+and+stepping+routines+during+5th+and+6th+period+lunches.+
Kate Fairbairn
On Thursday, Feb. 29, the PHS Steppers took on their Black History Month performance, learn more about what they had to say. They had multiple dances and stepping routines during 5th and 6th period lunches.

Black History Month is celebrated by the United States, Canada, Ireland, and the United Kingdom. These countries celebrate during February to highlight the achievements of African Americans in the United States.

Plant High School Steppers performed Thursday, Feb. 29 during 5th and 6th period lunches highlighting the start of hip-hop in the 1980s. Wanting to show how hip-hop continues to impact others in everyday life, an idea became reality, Senior Captain Jori Logan explains “Hip-hop in the 80s was influential because it gave artists the platform to express themselves and shed light on the experiences of Black Americans. Hip-hop continues to resonate with people in everyday life, because of its unique ability to bring people from diverse backgrounds together.”

The PHS Steppers portrayed this image with 80s jerseys, hoop earrings, bandannas, and jeans, giving the hip-hop 1980s vibe. The team began with a speech from Senior Captain Jori Logan, Senior Captain Zoe Moore, and Junior Head Stepper Sumaya Puello. The 3 Steppers taught Plant students about their morals to bring awareness to the beginning of hip-hop and where it had originated in New York City. The Plant students cheered for the Steppers, Moore shares “It feels good to represent and show/share part of black culture most definitely at this school.”

After the 3 Steppers individually gave a part of the speech, the remaining Steppers ran onto the courtyard stage performing a series of dances. The team went back and forth between dance and step dancing, shouting at the crowd their chants.