Plant Lacrosse Sticks a Win Against Newsome

Harrison+Hirsch+%2811%29+fought+his+opponents+for+possession+of+the+ball+throughout+the+game.+Hirsch+is+a+midfielder+for+the+Lacrosse+Team.+
Stella Griggs
Harrison Hirsch (11) fought his opponents for possession of the ball throughout the game. Hirsch is a midfielder for the Lacrosse Team.

On Tuesday, March 26, the Plant Lacrosse team battled against Newsome and executed a win. The lead fluctuated changed throughout the game, with the Panthers scoring first and Newsome tying it up minutes later. The struggle to retain control of the game would affect both teams until the Panthers prevailed at the end of the fourth quarter.

Plant has a 12-1 record this season, making them first in the district. The team has been nationally ranked for years, making it to Florida’s State Semi-Final game last season. Four seniors are graduating this year, so the team is looking for another chance to attend the State Tournament.

Ryson Demarest (10) was asked about his favorite part of being on the team. “I like the team culture. It’s fun being with the guys.”

At the end of the first quarter, the game’s outcome was uncertain, with a tie of 3-3. Nevertheless, the players achieved a 10-9 win over their rivals. This set Newsome back to an 8-3 overall record, and they are now ranked 12th in the Florida 2A State Classification.

On the other hand, Plant is ranked seventh in the Florida 2A State Class, meaning they are beating Newsome in both state and district rankings. The Panthers will attempt to hold their standings as the last three regular-season games approach.

Plant faces its last few opponents within the next week. They are Ponte Vedra and Berkeley Preparatory School. The regular season ends with a home game against the Jesuit Tigers. One of the team’s biggest rivals, Jesuit, is ranked first in the Florida 1A State Class, and the game attracts supporters from both sides every year.

Max Boyer, a sophomore defenseman, was asked about his best moment in last night’s game. “It was probably at the end of the game when players ran on the field and celebrated the win.”