Winterguard Ends Season with Taking Home Silver Medals

+HB+Plant+Winterguard+went+to+Daytona+Beach+for+their+state+championships%2C+after+being+promoted+to+a+new+division+the+team+managed+to+score+2nd+place.+Read+more+about+how+the+team+came+together+to+push+past+all+their+difficulties+throughout+the+season.+
Kim Freeman
HB Plant Winterguard went to Daytona Beach for their state championships, after being promoted to a new division the team managed to score 2nd place. Read more about how the team came together to push past all their difficulties throughout the season.

On March 29 at 9:30 p.m., HB Plant Winterguard was announced as second place in the FFCC AA Harlow Division at Daytona Beach Ocean Center. The team has worked for a long and hard 3 months after they were promoted to FFCC AA from AAA. Portraying their theme of “Perfume” the winterguard stole judges’ hearts away; each person gave their personal perfume characteristics.

Plant Winterguard performed the song Perfume by Brittany Spears; she sings about how she feels in her relationship where there is a third person. Spears sings “While I wait, I put on my perfume” exclaiming how she wants the perfume on her partner to draw him back into the relationship. The team performed with Spear’s famous perfume bottle on their flag silks and had a floor featuring 3 perfume bottles spraying to the center of the floor.

During HB Plants season, they had practice 2-3 times a week in the parking lot, and only for ¼ of their season, the team was able to have gym time. Windy days came across, having equipment fly away at times, and as well rainy days followed by a deep cleaning of their floor. Unexpectedly through HB Plants season, they had a major setback due to a glass perfume bottle prop. FFCC judges deducted HB Plant 10 points for having a glass prop, leaving them to sit in last place. The team pushed through and added an unexpected competition during spring break, performing with only 12 members out of the 19 on the team. Coaches rewriting drill and choreography in a matter of two hours before the Winterguard went on, the 12 teammates pushed through to achieve 1st place.

HB Plant came together for state championships, pushing each other through the performance and staying in control. Ending their performance with Senior Crimson Freeman tossing confetti into the air, awards awaited the team. HB Plant has had 3 past competitive years but being a few points away from the top three, medaling slipped from them. This year HB Plant demanded they medal in their performance, coming in a close second place and claiming a silver medal. Sophomore Meghan Burstiner explains “My reaction was a total shock; I knew we had a good run, and our team came off feeling good and happy with ourselves but getting second place is such an accomplishment especially since we just moved up to a new class and we had a lot of new people on the team. I felt very proud of our team and all of the hard work we put in this season.” The team continues to thrive and prepare for the 2025 FFCC season, pushing for promotion to Division A.