Special Olympics: A Year in Review

The+Special+Olympics+team+competed+in+many+sports+across+this+year%E2%80%99s+season.+The+club+participated+in+flag+football%2C+basketball%2C+bocce+ball+and+more.+
Bella Johnson
The Special Olympics team competed in many sports across this year’s season. The club participated in flag football, basketball, bocce ball and more.

Special Olympics, one of the many clubs Plant offers, has hit the end of its 2023-2024 season. As the year began to wrap up, Special Olympics members reflected upon the many fun memories and events the club held this year.

Special Olympics took part in many sports during each season starting with Flag Football in the fall. From there, the club moved into the winter season, where basketball is the focus until around December. Then, the club finishes the year with the spring season, which includes bocce ball, soccer and occasionally, track and field.

Secretary for the 2024-2025 season, Elisa Cabrera (11), has highlights from the season.

“I like going to practices on Mondays,” Cabrera said. “It is fun to play with all of the athletes throughout every sport.”

Special Olympics partakes in practices every Monday afternoon at 2:30 pm for the year. The location changes based on the sport being played, alternating from the football field, Corona Park and the Pit throughout the school year.

Fellow secretary for next year, Riley Nichols (11), shares similar sentiments as Cabrera.

“I like getting to help the athletes,” Nichols said. “Seeing them succeed and see how excited they get when they do well.”

The Special Olympics club has been through many trials together as a club but also as a team. The club sponsor, Kristina Renaud, had her last season this year and though it was a bittersweet end to a great season, many members thank Renaud for her dedication to the club and for bringing the “best season ever,” according to president, Neil Diasti (12).