Welcome to Miami: Formula One Returns

Daniel Petroni Photography on Instagram
The 2023 Miami Grand Prix marked the second year that the sunny city hosted a race. Leading up to the third, drivers will attempt to take reigning champion Max Verstappen’s crown. 

Get ready to mark your calendars for May 5, 2024, as the Formula One fever returns to Miami with the highly anticipated Miami Grand Prix. Now in its third year on the schedule, this event has rapidly ascended to become one of the most thrilling and eagerly awaited sporting spectacles in the nation.  

Formula One is currently ablaze with fierce competition, and at the heart of it is Max Verstappen, who drives for Red Bull Racing. Verstappen, the reigning champion, has been dominating the Miami Grand Prix since 2022, holding both of the circuit’s Grand Prix titles, and his relentless pursuit of victory adds an extra layer of intensity to the event.  

Prepare for a unique and thrilling showdown. The Miami Grand Prix, the second sprint race of the season following the Shanghai Grand Prix, offers a unique twist to the Formula One experience. These shortened races, covering only about one-third of the average Grand Prix circuit, truly test the strength of the drivers, challenging their ability to overtake competitors in a limited time frame and adding a new level of excitement to the race.  

The Grand Prix weekend starts with a Free Practice session on early Friday afternoon, followed by the Sprint Qualifying a few hours later. On Saturday, May 4, the Sprint race takes place, with the top eight drivers across the finish line earning points for their teams. Later in the evening, Qualifying will determine the starting grid positions for Sunday’s race, setting the stage for an intense battle on the track.   

Going into the weekend, Red Bull has been shown as the all-powerful team. Still, McLaren and Ferrari aren’t too far behind, with Lando Norris scoring a podium for McLaren at the last race and Ferrari holding second place in the Constructors’ Championship.  

The Miami International Autodrome, where the race takes place, has a track with 57 laps and a circuit that is 5.412 kilometers. The total distance the drivers will race is 308.326 kilometers or about 192 miles. The Grand Prix will take the racers about 60-90 minutes to complete, and then the podium celebrations will begin.  

   

The circuit has three DRS (Drag Reduction System) Detection Zones, three sectors, and one-speed trap. The DRS Zones help drivers overtake each other in certain sections of the track, but near the speed trap, drivers are forced to slow down to protect their cars and their established position.  

The Miami Grand Prix will be a significant factor in the Drivers’ and Constructors’ Championships, as it is only the seventh out of 24 races this season.  

The Grand Prix, Free Practice, Sprint Qualifying, Sprint Race, and Qualifying will be streamed through the official Formula One service and on ESPN.