Student documentarian captures school spring musical through lens

A budding documentarian, senior Maddy McKay will capture the behind-the-scenes creation of “Cabaret,” the school’s spring musical.
 McKay’s movie marks the first time that a student has created a documentary of this caliber on a school production.
As an aspiring filmmaker, McKay hopes that undertaking this project will allow her to expand her skill set for the future.
“This is what I want to do as a profession. Nothing like this has ever been done and that’s why I want to do it,” McKay said. “ I wanted to create something real.”
“I want to show the whole process of a show, not just the final product,” McKay said. 
Senior cast members displayed a particular sentimentality regarding their final school production.
 “At some point in my life I will want to look back at my high school theatre experience. ” Nick Russo, senior, said. “Who knows what she’ll capture on tape!”
Although senior members of the cast appreciated McKay’s documentation of their last play, underclassmen cast members  on “Cabaret” shared a similar sense of excitement.
“I think this will be a really fun experience,” Elizabeth Doney, sophomore, said. “I think it will be interesting to watch it all come together after we’ve finished.”
Involvement in McKay’s documentary left some cast members with a newfound appreciation of the process of integrating all of the elements of a show. 
“Documenting all of the steps we have to take to achieve our goal of a great show has given me a different outlook on the creation of ‘Cabaret’,” Marissa Sandler, junior, said.
While some of the cast and crew of “Cabaret” might have regarded the documentary with skepticism initially, a consensus seemed to exist that the additional project did not interfere with rehearsals.
“We get so focused on what we’re working on that you almost forget she’s filming,” Doney said.
McKay’s documentary will conclude when the show opens to student viewers in April.

Emalee Herrara

A budding documentarian, senior Maddy McKay will capture the behind-the-scenes creation of “Cabaret,” the school’s spring musical. McKay’s movie marks the first time that a student has created a documentary of this caliber on a school production. As an aspiring filmmaker, McKay hopes that undertaking this project will allow her to expand her skill set for the future. “This is what I want to do as a profession. Nothing like this has ever been done and that’s why I want to do it,” McKay said. “ I wanted to create something real.” “I want to show the whole process of a show, not just the final product,” McKay said. Senior cast members displayed a particular sentimentality regarding their final school production. “At some point in my life I will want to look back at my high school theatre experience. ” Nick Russo, senior, said. “Who knows what she’ll capture on tape!” Although senior members of the cast appreciated McKay’s documentation of their last play, underclassmen cast members on “Cabaret” shared a similar sense of excitement. “I think this will be a really fun experience,” Elizabeth Doney, sophomore, said. “I think it will be interesting to watch it all come together after we’ve finished.” Involvement in McKay’s documentary left some cast members with a newfound appreciation of the process of integrating all of the elements of a show. “Documenting all of the steps we have to take to achieve our goal of a great show has given me a different outlook on the creation of ‘Cabaret’,” Marissa Sandler, junior, said. While some of the cast and crew of “Cabaret” might have regarded the documentary with skepticism initially, a consensus seemed to exist that the additional project did not interfere with rehearsals. “We get so focused on what we’re working on that you almost forget she’s filming,” Doney said. McKay’s documentary will conclude when the show opens to student viewers in April.

Although senior members of the cast appreciated McKay’s documentation of their last play, underclassmen cast members on “Cabaret” shared a similar sense of excitement. “I think this will be a really fun experience,” Elizabeth Doney, sophomore, said.

“I think it will be interesting to watch it all come together after we’ve finished.”