SAT adjustments cause admission changes

Starting on all tests after March 2016, College board changed many aspects of the SAT.

The graduating class of 2017 are the rst class to take the redesigned SAT, and will be the rst to use the new test to apply to college.

“I think it’s going to make it pretty complicated for the college admissions of cers this year,” College Research Teacher Lauren Mosely said.

Many colleges are unsure about admissions requirements due to unfamiliarity with the new test. Colleges such as the University of Florida and Florida State University, are using score converters to convert scores from former applicants to scores on the scale of the new test.

“It didn’t make sense to me…I didn’t understand the format of the test.” Urja Kaishik, senior said.

For students who have been studying for the test since before the change, the SAT brings difficulty. Most parts of the test have been redesigned, so students studying on the old format is no longer helpful.

“I’ve been doing the practice tests on Khan Academy,”Giovanni Figueruelo, junior, said.

Along with introducing the changes in the SAT, college board introduced a free alternative to use to study. Khan Academy allows students to link previous SAT and PSAT tests to their account, so they can study what they missed before.

“I would always recommend that students take the essay,” Mosley said. “You never know if a college you’ve been wanting to apply to will require it.”

One of the major changes on the SAT is the essay. As well as having the option to take or not take the essay, the type of writing is completely different. Previously students had to defend their position on a topic, now they have to read, analyze, and write about a passage.

“The SAT reading is so long so I’m tired of the test within the rst hour,” Sarah Seghrouchni, senior said.”Unlike the ACT which is fast paced.”

Before the change, the SAT had the reputation of being the harder test compared to the ACT, more students choose to take and send ACT scores to colleges. This is starting to change, and the SAT is gaining a new reputation as the easier test.

“I think change is always hard but ultimately students will see that the changes to the SAT are beneficial to them,” Mosley said.

Only time will tell how the new SAT not only effects students’ academic testing but college admissions requirements.