A New Lunch Bell Rings

Administrators change bell schedule

A new bell schedule will be installed for the 2017-2018 school year.

Although quite similar to this current year’s schedule, the new schedule features a considerable difference.

Unlike prior school years, lunch will be a completely separate period, instead of merging it within fifth period.

“It’s definitely going to give us a lot more lunch time,” junior Phoenix Kish said.

Fourth, fifth and sixth periods will be reserved as lunch periods, students receiving one of these periods as their time to eat. Therefore, there will be no overlap in lunches.

“We just have to work at a much faster pace, it’s all dependent on the pace,” cafeteria employee Tomika Wilcox said.

This comes after the previously proposed bell schedule (in which high schools began at 7:15 a.m. and ended at 2:00 p.m.) was voted to be postponed until its institution for the 2018-2019 school year.

“Overall, I don’t think it’s that different. It will definitely help with the organization of lunches,” sophomore Brenda Sanchez said.

With the current schedule, overcrowding may sometimes occur in the cafeteria due to the overlapping of lunches. This leads to long lunch lines which take away time students could have used to eat.

“I prefer the newer because it’s more efficient,” freshman Meghan Ciemnolonski said

In addition to a change in lunch times, tutoring may also become available during lunch in the upcoming school year.

Although this is not yet definite, it remains a possibility. If approved, students will be able to receive tutoring from teachers during lunch.

“If students who need the extra help can’t stay after school and get the tutoring we offer now, it’s going to be within the school day,” assistant principal Kimi Hellenberg said.

Despite this change, class lengths will remain relatively the same as they are for the 2016-2017 school year. Accordingly, the new schedule should not detract from students’ education.