Clubs spring into action

How to Join

With the first month of school nearly over, clubs have opened up for potential applicants. Below is a list of clubs, along with where to find their applications and deadlines, for students who are interested. 

Literary Club-This club is for those interested in all kinds of literature, from poetry, to storytelling, to even photography. The Literary Club also publishes an annual journal where students can have their works featured. Applications can be found in room 234 and are due on Sept. 1.  

Social Studies Honors Society-This club is available to students who have maintained a 3.5 GPA in social studies classes and are currently enrolled in a social studies course. It is open to juniors and seniors only. Applications can be found in room 707 and are due on Sept. 8.  

National English Honors Society– Sophomores, juniors and seniors who enjoy English classes, or would like to expand on their knowledge of the language and have maintained a 3.0 GPA in English, can apply for NEHS. Applications can be found in room 219 and are due on Aug 25.  

Spanish Honor Society– Students who have maintained a 3.5 average in their Spanish classes and are currently enrolled in or completed all Spanish courses are eligible to join this club. Applicants must be at least in the second semester of Spanish II and a sophomore, junior or senior. Applications can be found in room 123 are due on Sept. 1.  

French Club-For students who are interested in or would like to learn more about French culture, French Club applications are available to all. No French class or speaking experience is required to join. Applications can be found in room 122 and are due on Sept. 6.  

Fellowship of Christian Athletes– FCA hosts monthly meetings with guest speakers and has three service project opportunities for those interested. Members are not required to play a sport. Students interested in joining can find applications in room 219, which are due on Aug. 25. 

First Priority- This club is aimed at students who follow or are interested in the Christian faith. Applications for First Priority can be found in room 706 and are due Sept. 1. 

Plant Outdoorsman Alliance-Adventurous students who would like to participate in outdoor activities such as archery or paintball can join POA. To join, applicants must also complete a medical release form attached to the application. Applications can be found in room 230 and are due Sept. 6. 

Speech and Debate-This is a club suited for students who would like to voice their thoughts on all kinds of topics. Speech and Debate also has a competition team where students can compete against other schools and win awards. Applications can be found in room 211A and can be turned into the weekly Wednesday meetings from 3:00-4:00, which have already begun.  

High Schools Against Cancer-Members of H.A.C. can participate in service events and drives aimed at spreading awareness of cancer or raising funds for research. Applications can be found in room 240 and are due on Sept. 1. 

Why Define Us? Students who are interested in mentoring middle school students can join Why Define Us? Mentoring Wilson Middle School and Christ the King students doesn’t interfere with after school extracurriculars, but Coleman Middle School mentoring sessions take place on Mondays at 2:15 p.m. Applications can be found in room 219 and are due on Aug. 25.