The student news site of H. B. Plant High School

Students give takes on drag queens

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Dylan Pitts, Staff Writer

For many in the LGBTQ community, expression is scary and not always well received. From coming out, to dressing differently, many cast judgments and discourage anything outside the norm.
The fact that prejudice is so common for members within the gay community is why suicide rates are almost five times higher than their heterosexual counterparts. Drag is such a big part of the community because it advocates for self-expression and serves as a reminder to be who you are.
“As a trans person, the concept of drag queens is ground breaking,” junior Emery Gordon said.
Although not everyone is an active participant in drag, just seeing someone having so much confidence is inspiring, especially if one isn’t fully comfortable with who they are. What’s interesting about drag is that many don’t do it for fame; just the act of entertaining and the transformation is enough for them block out the oppression and misjudgment found in the “real” world.
“It’s a good way for them to express themselves and make them feel welcome,” junior Alex Pittman said.
Today, however, the artform that is drag is no longer confined to the shadows. With main stream media now representing the drag community, they have a platform to preach their message of love, equality and a pinch of sass. The TV show “Ru Paul’s Drag Race,” for example, enables exposure and representation to a group that’s been subject to prejudice due to public misinformation.
More than anything, drag just allows those who are different to have a voice, an outlet of expression to entertain and be themselves. Drag isn’t the same as transgender, drag is simply a medium for the expression of one’s inner beauty and fiery attitude in a world where that’s looked down upon.
Everyone should experience the community that is drag. They don’t bite… often; and their freedom of expression allows you to feel that even if only for a night. “They are very inspirational for kids that are different,” junior Larkin Boeckh said.
Seeing them on TV is exciting, but it’s nothing like in person. Recently I went to a drag bar in Ybor City, “Hamburger Mary’s,” and that was an experience! If you’re going to go, bring a lot of ones and an open mind because its wild.
All jokes aside, it’s just an environment where everyone wants to have fun and live, so you should experience that once in your life even if it’s not for you. When my friends and I went, we had a blast and even met a guy who goes to a different high school that we still keep in contact with, because it’s an environment of inclusion and it was just great. Get out of your comfort zone, people.