News briefs to start week of Oct. 16

wikimedia commons

wikimedia commons

Harvey Weinstein Company

Weinstein fired from own company 

Multiple cases against co-founder of Weinstein Company, Harvey Weinstein, arose concerning the matter of sexual harassment. There have been reports of at least eight women in cases that were settled.  

The Weinstein Company fired Harvey Weinstein on Oct. 9 for these accusations. 

“I think the company handled it really well; they followed the protocol,” sophomore Ellie Schifino said. 

The harassment has gone on for eight years with actions such as posing in suggestive outfits after leading women into designated private locations. 

Along with the revealing clothing, Weinstein made crude comments with sexual language towards victims. The company released statements that investigators were hired to conduct internal searches concerning the harassment claims.  

“He should be in jail for what he did,” freshman Arnaldo Sanchez said. 

Ownership of Weinstein Company has been passed on to his brother Bob Weinstein and Chief Operating Officer, David Glasser. A personal witness, Ashley Judd, sat down with media platforms about the in-depth experience of her encounter with Weinstein.  

Weinstein has faced large amounts of criticism and has announced that he will be attending rehab for the promiscuous behavior. 

wikimedia commons

HART rolls out new bus schedule

Hillsborough Area Regional Transit, also known as HART, is beginning to take on a new bus schedule. 

On Oct. 9 the new bus schedule was released and production began.  

Through the process of these changes, multiple stops have been lost and moved, creating possible distress for those who no longer live close to a bus stop. The idea of changing the bus schedule and routes has been in the works for a year now. 

“I think it’s really inconvenient for a lot of people, because a lot of people rely on it,” sophomore Loreal Bush said. 

The bus schedule has been met with past protests before it was released. Changes in the schedule have begun to cause multiple transportation issues for regular riders such as jobs at risk and missing appointments. 

“I don’t really use the bus stops at all,” junior Tee Chulikavit said. 

The CEO of HART reveals routes had to be cut off, due to the large size of the company. There was no capacity to leave room for routes with few passengers. 

wikimedia common

Catalonia drives for independence 

The Catalonian region of Spain is currently in a drive for independence. The Catalan leader, Carles Puigdemont, argues that his region deserves freedom. 

His statement gained a lot of support within Spain, but was eventually put to a halt by a speech claiming further talk with Madrid, the capital of Spain. 

This announcement has caused much confusion within the region and was even called out by Spain’s prime minister Mariano Rajoy. 

“What he [Puigdemont] is doing is wrong,” junior Amber Phaosoung said. 

Madrid retaliated however against the idea of Catalan independence. To send this message, Madrid sent police to interfere with the vote and even gave threats of imprisonment towards Puigdemont. 

“They should make a compromise to help this situation,” sophomore Daniel Meininger said. “Personally, if Catalonia wants to split that is their decision.” 

There have been indicators that upon gaining independence, Catalonia still might not become a part of the European Union immediately but would have to apply before having the opportunity.