The Danger of Drugs Up Close

NOPE presentation informs sophomore students

Chad Mendez

Speaking on the dangers of drug use, Assistant Principal Napolean Wade addresses the sophomore class.

Narcotics overdose prevention and education. The NOPE task force conducted an informative presentation during sophomore homeroom on Oct. 18, 2017.  

The nonprofit NOPE organization travels around to middle and high schools across the state, advising, educating, and advocating for drug abstinence and responsible decision making. This year, NOPE returned to school to deliver these messages to the sophomore class.  

“It was very eye opening and inspirational, but also emotional,” sophomore Brooke Hanes said. 

Hanes was referring to the portion of NOPE’s presentation that introduced individuals by displaying their pictures on posters and described their personal struggles with drug use, telling the story of each of their untimely deaths. The organization even went to the lengths to bring out a victim’s parents and allow them to share life lessons with the audience in relation to their experiences. 

“Tragic and graphic, but enlightening,” sophomore Malu Klein said.  

NOPE not only thrives to inform students of the dangerous, addictive and sometimes deadly effects of drug use, but provides real life devastating examples of possible outcomes.  

“It made me realize how this could happen to you even though you never thought it would. It could happen to you or your friends,” sophomore Sonia Buenaventura said.  

After the appearance of the four speakers, the moderator, two parents and law enforcement representative, Officer Holloway, the presentation concluded. On the way out the door, students received help line information and resources for assistance or in the case of an emergency.  

If in need of family support, treatment, or any other form of help, NOPE advises calling or contacting 911 and hotlines listed on their website: www.nopetaskforce.org