Band places first in competition

Tegan Fannin

During the first football game of the year, junior Liz Rosa directs the marching band.

The marching band returned home from the Newsome Invitational with a number of awards Saturday, Oct. 28.  

Despite the inclement weather, the marching band stayed focused on the event.  

“We had to play in the gym and not march it because of the rain, so it was really loud and it was pretty intense,” sophomore J.D. Dibbs said. 

Band director Brian Dell accompanied them as they performed for certified judges. 

“I think the best thing that happened in the competition was the way our kids were able to deal with the weather and the changes that happened,” Dell said. “They handled the adversity of the competition very well.” 

Not only were the students focused, but so were the judges, paying close attention to key aspects of the performance. 

“The judges were looking for visual effects, musical performance and technique,” freshman Tristan Metz said. “It was important to be in the right mindset, to stay focused at all times, because one mistake could be costly.” 

Marching band students prepared with practices and rehearsals for the competition against high schools from Hillsborough, Pinellas and Leesburg counties. 

“I wasn’t too nervous because I knew that we got this, and I was very confident in our program,” senior Racquel Carly said. “I was actually surprised in our results. Sometimes practices can be tough, and I was confident in us, but I was still surprised and relieved.” 

Band received awards for Best Music, Best General Effect Music, Best Visual, and Best Percussion, earning feedback to take with them to their district assessment this upcoming Saturday, Nov. 4 at Gaither. 

“[The competition] prepares us for our MPA, or Musical Performance Assessment, ” junior Karissa Hamilton said. “We can’t joke around; it’s not a joke. It’s serious, and we have to be prepared.”