Five students receive nation-wide distinction

Several students have won the distinction of being National Merit Semifinalists.

A handful of students score so well on the PSAT that they receive the distinction of being named a National Merit Scholar. The percentage of students who win this honor changes every year, but is usually less than 3 percent. Seniors Crystal Cheung, Jason Xu, Ethan Kramer, Bob Schofner, and Jesse Yang all won this award.

“I like learning, so I’m naturally inclined to work in school,” Kramer said.

Most other scholars echoed his sentiment.

“School has always come naturally to me,” Yang said. “It’s just something I’m good at.”

Being named a national merit scholar also comes with many benefits.

“There’s a scholarship in Florida where if you get national merit, you get an automatic full ride to any Florida school. [You can] go to any Florida school completely for free,” Kramer said.

In addition to the tangible benefits of scholarships, others pointed out that simply being named as a scholar can help you get into good colleges.

“It’s something that makes you stand out on a college application,” Yang said. “It can help you get into tougher schools.”

Beyond the scholarship, there was one more thing that motivated one scholar in particular.

“Every year, there’s a breakfast for the national merit scholars,” Scofner said. “I have always wanted that breakfast, so I studied hard and I got it.”

Regardless of these students’ motivations, the National Merit Program continues to recognize some of the best students across the country.