Beta inducts new members

Alea Jennings

Shaking hands with Assistant Principal Kimi Hellenberg, senior Christina Apokatos is inducted into the Beta Honor Society.

Beta inductions occurred this week for all the new members or the prestigious group. The meeting was held in the auditorium on Thursday, Nov 2. The new members of the club consisted mostly of the sophomore class of 2020, but also included upperclassmen who meet the cub requirements who had not been inducted previously.  

“My mom was really happy to hear that I got an invitation for Beta because she was in it when she was in high school,” sophomore Kwenci Snyder said. 

Beta club has been around for more than 80 years and was founded by John W. Harris, a professor in South Carolina. It is exclusive to students with a 3.8 grade point average or higher. 

” I knew I would get in because I pride myself on my grades and make sure I’m doing as good as I can at all times, even if I’m in a rough situation,” sophomore Jaden McCray said. 

Beta club has been said to look really good on college applications since the student is required to have good grades throughout the whole term of being in Beta, not only in the joining of the club. 

” I think I got into the colleges I applied for because I have a lot of things that look good on my application including beta which is a really cool thing to have on there because it makes me stand out a little more,” senior Sophia Estes said. 

“I felt a little out of place being one of the few juniors there but its better late than never,” junior Hannah Toner said 

Although most of the students joining Beta this year are sophomores, some of them are juniors too that got in with a late start. 

Beta also can help students get more service hours with a variety of offers and options to choose from. The club overall is trying to improve students in the community to reach their full potential. 

” The induction ceremony was basically just everyone getting a certificate that certifies you into Beta,” sophomore Mary-Paige Porter said.