Art display showcases student work

Media Center features temporary exhibition

Taylor Harahan

Logan Smith (12)

The National Art Honors Society hosted an art exhibit in the media center from April 4 to 13. The event featured more than 25 student artists and over 35 works of art.

“We decided this year that one of the things they [NAHS] would like to do as a way of meeting their mission would be to showcase some student work,” art teacher and NAHS sponsor Stacy Rosende said. “[We decided to] give some students who aren’t in art class or in other art shows a chance to show their work and participate in this dialogue.”

A blind jury selected what pieces would make it into the exhibit, and about 60 to 70 percent were selected to be shown.

“It’s pretty good to be appreciated this way,” junior Zain Khan said. “I’ve worked hard on this.”

Many different media were present in the exhibit, including oil paintings, watercolors and photography. All students, regardless of NAHS membership or their involvement in a current art class, were eligible to participate.

“Since I do not take an art class, there are fewer opportunities for me to display my work at school,” sophomore Payton Covelli said. “And this event allowed me and so many other artists to showcase our talent.”

NAHS hopes this art show will be a recurring event.

“This will definitely become an annual thing,” senior Logan Smith, president of the Plant chapter of NAHS. “We have already begun planning for next year’s show and how to make it bigger and improve.”

Some student artists are also being featured at the Dali Museum from May 19 to August 26 as part of the museum’s Student Surrealist Art Exhibit.

“It is so important to give the arts the attention they deserve because so much time and effort goes into the pieces,” Smith said. “Even someone who isn’t an artist can see beauty and effort in them.”