Football co-captain reveals plans for future

On a typical Friday night, #73 runs onto the football field with high hopes to win another game. But senior and co-captain Everett Smalley’s football career won’t end after high school – he will join the 2.5% of U.S. high school students going on to play football in a NCAA Division I school. 

“He’s been a true Plant Panther in terms of his work ethic and in terms of his character off the field,” football coach Robert Weiner said. “He is one of those kids that you say is happy he represents our team. Whichever college gets him will get a very, very good finished product.” 

Everett Smalley was five years old when he started playing football. He grew up playing at the YMCA and then continued playing when he reached high school. 

“He has got his lineman savage side to him where he is able to attack and plays on both sides of the ball,” Weiner said. “He has really been a lunch pail guy who has just gone to work on every single snap and is not afraid of doing the work in the trenches.” 

Smalley originally played center but then switched to left tackle. 

“Left tackle can sometimes be challenging since you usually go against the biggest people,” Smalley said. “It’s my favorite position.” 

Smalley is also co-captain this year. 

“He is a great leader by example by not looking for the credit,” Weiner said. “He is not a ‘me’ guy who looks to have the finger pointed at him in terms of who has done well. I think he is just the guy that keeps doing all the work for his teammates and continues to perform at an excellent level, never asking for anything in return.” 

The football team’s slogan this year is ‘warrior poets,’ defined as someone with deep conviction, careful thought and skill in violence. 

“Everett fits our slogan well,” Coach Robert Weiner said. “He’s a gentleman off the field and does a great job in the classroom. He is easily engaged with other students and faculty in ways that are very important.” 

The time-consuming aspect of football does not hold Smalley back. He still gets straight A’s. 

“My favorite game was against Lakeland last year,” Smalley said. “It was a really interesting game, and it was cool that we beat them.” 

The varsity football team defeated Lakeland 13-10 last year in a playoff game Nov. 24. The game was close – Lakeland was up by four until the fourth quarter when Plant came back with a touchdown, securing the win. 

“The best part about football is Coach Weiner,” Smalley said. “He makes practices fun and enjoyable for everyone.” 

Smalley received an offer to play football at the U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado May 16 and committed to becoming a falcon Oct. 13. He will play football there, but he will also train to be in the U.S. Air Force. 

I want to be in the Air Force because it is a great opportunity for me,” Smalley said. “It gives a lot of job opportunities after the fact, so I am guaranteed a job after college.” 

Smalley has also received offers to play football from West Point, Kent State, Southern Mississippi, Buffalo and Charleston Southern. 

“It was accomplishing to get scholarships to play football in college,” Smalley said. “It shows that hard work pays off.” 

Smalley’s dream job and goal in life are to be a high school football coach. 

“I just love football,” Smalley said. “It’s what I want to be around my whole life.