Student helps Cross Out Cancer

Student helps Cross Out Cancer

Laura Jones, junior, has helped organize a 5k to raise money for children’s cancer and also formed a team in the 5k that any Plant students can join. She hopes the race is a success and that many students will participate in this fun event with a great cause.

Q: What is the purpose of this event?
A: The purpose of the X Out Cancer 5k is to raise money for families who cannot afford cancer care for their children and are sent to All Children’s Hospital, who will then help pay for it. The money raised for the 5k will go to All Children’s Hospital to ensure that the hospital will never have to turn away a child and family in need of treatment.

Q: Who all can participate in the event?
A: Anyone who wishes to participate in the 5k is able to if they sign up. Runners, walkers, children, parents, and anyone else who wants to help can.

Q: When and where is the event?
A: The 5k is at Picnic Island (7409 Picnic Island Boulevard Tampa, FL 33616) and participants are expected to be there at 9:00 am on November 21st. The event is expected to last until around noon. The race begins at 10:00 am.

Q: How can students who want to participate sign up?
A: Students who want to sign up can go to the link https:??runsignup.com/Race/FL/Tampa/CrossOutCancer5k and sign up under Panthers to show PHS’s support for Crossing Out Cancer. Sign up is $25 and a t-shirt, bag of “goodies” and food will be provided at the event.

Q: What is the Panthers’ team goal for the event?
A: Plant’s goal is to raise at least $3,000, have at least 35 participants and to encourage participation in the event for years to come.

Q:What other high schools are participating in the event?
A: Sickles, Academy of the Holy Names, Tampa Prep, Berkeley, Jesuit, Robinson, Calvary Christian and more.

Q: How did you get involved with the event?
A: I got involved in the event because the president of Cross Out Cancer Inc., Elizabeth Dolan, reached out to me to help her cause. She contacted the cross country coaches at Plant, asking for a Plant liaison for her race, and the coaches offered the opportunity to Rob Leverone [senior] and I.

Q: What all have you done to get ready for the event?
A: We have had nine meetings since March to prepare for the race, raised $26,913 of our $25,000 goal and have found dozens of donors and sponsors for the race. We also have organized t-shirt designs, poster designs, set up the race course, put together 400 race bags and assigned each school’s representative a specific job for race day. I will be working the medical tent.

Q: What else would you like students who are interested to know about the event?
A: A lot of effort and planning has been put into the event and the connections formed amongst the schools of Tampa are unlike any I have ever experienced before.

Q: When and where is your event?
A: “The hat decorating event is Sunday, October 4, at 2 pm, at the Adams House, which is an assisted living facility where we will decorate the hats with the seniors that live there. The Alzheimer’s Walk, where we wear the hats, is on Saturday, October 31 in downtown, beginning at the Amalie Arena. Registration begins at 9 am. Joining the Hats That Give Back team [Jessica’s group] and the walk itself is free.”

Q: Who can participate in the group?
A: “Everyone! People can also donate to the Hats That Give Back team if they are interested. You can donate through the team page (http://act.alz.org/site/TR/Walk2015/FL-FloridaGulfCoast?team_id=309328&pg=team&fr_id=7403) or with cash.”

Q: How can people sign up for the event?
A: “People can sign up online, or they can register for the walk at 9 am at the event. By joining the team, participants also receive a free Hats That Give Back t-shirt on the day of the walk. So far, only 3 or 4 people have signed up, so that is why I would love to get the word out to everyone to join me and my team in the Alzheimer’s Walk. My goal for my team is 15+ people, so please let everyone know who might be interested!”

Q: How did you organize this group?
A: “I have been volunteering at two assisted living facilities in Tampa, and was inspired by all the seniors I met to try to bring awareness to these people and what they’re suffering with, and hopefully help the search for finding the cure to Alzheimer’s.”

Q: How did you get the idea for Hats That Give Back?
A: “I decided I wanted to help the seniors in a bigger way than simply volunteering, so I met with the Executive Director of Adams House, Gabi Geier, to try to get ideas of how to help. She told me about the Alzheimer’s Walk and I came up with the idea of decorating baseball caps with the seniors, because it would be a fun activity to do with a group of friends, and a great activity to do with the seniors, too. Every hat that is decorated will have the individual senior’s name on it so when participants wear them in the walk these residents can be there in spirit.”

Q: What do people need to know about the event and its cause?
A: “Each individual’s participation and donations can go a long way in helping to find the cure for Alzheimer’s, a disease that impacts 5.3 million seniors in America. The walk is going to be a lot of fun while also helping a very important cause.”