Shoes continue fashion trend in hallways

First look into the shoe trends currently circulating campus

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Shoes are something everyone is generally familiar with, snuggly worn on feet to protect from a long day of hiking around school. Whether it be climbing the stairs of new building or strutting down south hall, students are bound to see or indulge in these trendy foot huggers.

One popular pair completing the outfits of many boys and girls lately is the checkerboard Vans sneakers.

“I got these shoes for my birthday last summer,” sophomore Jessica Spelman said. “My friend had a pair, and I just really liked the style.”

These chessboard-patterned, decked out skating shoes have struck up a liking among Plant students and are now seen “quite often” Spelman said.

Truth be told, some of the trendiest shoes of today are focused around those originally made with a different purpose rather than spicing up your look. These include Vans, which were created for skateboarding, and Sperry’s, which are also making their debut.

“They’ve always been really comfortable, and I started wearing them [Sperry’s back in middle school,” senior Jonathan Jorge said.

These traditional boating shoes have become a Plant High favorite, especially rocked with those Vinyard Vine tees some love so much.

“They are comfortable, look professional and the soles are hard,” freshman David McQuay said. “Also, they are easy to put on.”

Although the close-toed trend seems to dominate nowadays, don’t be too quick to surpass the rage over sandals. The Birkenstock sandals in particular, cross-strapped and multicolored, are a new crowd favorite, especially among the girls.

“They are extremely comfy once you have broken them in,” junior Alexandra Stefanovici said.

In contrast to the strapped sandals, Jordan’s have also made an appearance, traveling off the court and into the hallways.

“I like wearing them to school,” freshman Dawson Wetherington said. “They help you walk, and I wear them with socks.”

For more trend ideas, visit out Pinterest board.