Hanging by a Silk

Aerial arts is a type of performance where one or more artists perform aerial acrobatics while hanging from a fabric, called a silk. This is not a traditional sport, but many students at Plant have taken interest in it.  

There are a few places around Tampa where aerial arts is offered. A lot of the students at Plant High School who practice aerial arts take classes at New Level Dance Company. Some even compete against other people their age from different studios. 

In these competitions, the performers do routines on either the silks, lyra, or another apparatus. The competitors are separated into different categories based on their skill level, age, and what apparatus they’re competing on. Usually, the competitors are rewarded with medals if they place first, second, or third. 

The teens at Plant who do aerial arts love learning combinations, tricks, and drops on the silks.  

“Silks is my creative outlet that I need in order to stay balanced. It’s my safe space and I’m so in love with the sport”, senior Emma Zientara said.  

Aerial arts provides opportunities to be creative and get exercise in a unique, fun way. Aerial arts allows students to get fit in an uncommon way and creates an opportunity to be artistic through performing. 

Although silks is a fun way to exercise, it requires lots of strength just like any other sport.  

“It takes a lot of endurance and upper body strength because we do conditioning and long combos”, Senior Sofi Thomas said.  

Strength and flexibility are both important to have when doing aerial arts. Just like traditional sports, aerial arts requires hard work and conditioning as well. Plant students involved in aerial arts love having the chance to exercise in a different way that allows them to be free and artistic.